Saturday 20 April 2013

Fraisier

Finally. I have finally come to bake this cake. For those who have watched the last series of the Great British Bake Off you should be more than familiar with this as it was one of the technical challenges. Fraisier is basically a classic French strawberry cake with a distinctive pattern on the sides created using halved strawberries.

Unfortunately in this attempt I miscalculated the amount gelatine needed to set the cream so it didn't turn out very well. Still tasted good though.


The filling is a white chocolate mousse flavoured with almond extract. I avoided using marzipan as I don't like fondant/marzipan in general. Plus it sort of saves some work as well.


As you can tell it's a birthday cake for a friend of mine from Marseille. She wanted something with strawberries and I couldn't think of anything more strawberry-y than this cake.

It really would've looked a lot nicer had I used more gelatine in the mousse and let it have more time to set (the fact that I woke up at 12 noon today really didn't help).

Would I make it again? Absolutely. Did I mention I should use more gelatine next time?

Ad Kong

6 comments:

  1. Hey Adrian,
    That cake didn't turn out too bad! :) I followed you from UK Food Blogger's Association. Sorry for the delay in your message; I hadn't realized you'd sent it! Whoops! I'd be more than happy for you to sample & review some macarons for me. Drop me an email to macaron [at]anyonita-nibbles[dot]com with your address and I'll get some out in the post to you with my next batch of samples! :)
    Cheers,
    Anyonita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! A Frasier! More gelatine or not, it still looks pretty lovely sliced and served up :3

    I wish you be my friend, & bake me good for my birthday and the other 364 days a year. Does this sound good? Yes? Wonderful. Let a fruitful friendship ensue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! A Fraisier! More gelatine or not, it still looks rather pretty sliced & sitting on the plate :3

    I would like you to be my friend, so you can bake for my birthday. And the other 364 days a year. Those this sound good? Yes? Wonderful! Let a fruitful friendship ensue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. Absolutely! And I can practise my French with you too! :D

      I'll definitely make this cake again and next time it will be a proper looking Fraisier. :)

      Delete
  4. Since you have been baking for your friends' birthday, may be you can make one for me? But don't see this is possible because you will not be around in May. Anyway, I think your cake is great considering it was your first attempt, I am sure it will be better if you use more gelatine next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish you could make a birthday cake for me too, but seems unlikely since you will not be around in May. Anyway, it's a great cake, considering it was your first attempt, I am sure it will be better next time , since you know what's the problem. Well done, son! Proud of you.

    ReplyDelete

Comments and feedback are what keep me going! I'd always be happy to help you with questions you have regarding the recipes in my entries.